Friday, February 1, 2013

The Man Himself

Mr. Jesse Bier

Since last summer (2012) I've had the pleasure of getting to know Professor Emeritus Jesse Bier. We started up a professional relationship while I assisted him in preparing his novella, The Cannibal, for publication.

Over the course of our work together, I've become captivated by his gentlemanly demeanor, his no non-sense candor, and, of course, his literary insights. We've discussed the shifting landscape of American literature, the failure of military leadership since he served. He's shared devastating stories of GI's and intimate moments of his day to day life caring for his wife as she struggles with Alzheimer's. We've chatted about environmental degradation and what exactly makes a joke funny in French. He has given me poems to read and novels to transcribe. Along the way I've met his children, visited his home and brought my friends to meet him.

My time with Professor Bier has been humbling, edifying, and needed.

Through this blog I hope to share some of our discussions, his reflections, and his work. I've asked some of my writerly friends to contribute as well. We meet regularly at the local bagel joint to talk about writing and the world at large. His is a perspective I think my generation could grow from. And, hell, maybe it goes past that. Maybe we all need a little Jesse Bier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment